Wednesday 7 September 2011

Flowers, friends and freedom

It's taken me a few days to get round to writing this blog after the event. I think I was waiting for reality to sink in, but it seems that's going to take longer than a few days.

I've left work. And not for a holiday; for good. After 13 years (minus those lost 6 weeks back in the day), several changes of role, so many friends and countless moments of hysteria, chaos and crises; it somehow seemed, to both me and those around me, that I was part of the furniture and that I'd never leave. In many ways, I was quite happy with that. Having spent so much of my life there, it felt like home, and I was comfortable there. It made me so emotional saying goodbye to people that have meant so much to me, and knowing I will no longer be seeing them every day, and I was even more emotional when I got the flowers, gifts and especially the cards with lovely messages. (Hurrah for the joined up world of social media, which means goodbye doesn't mean losing touch.) But things change. Things have to change. I had to change.

This is my new beginning. And it's amazing.There is a whole world of possibility out there. I can do anything that makes me happy and that challenges and inspires me. I'm excited to find out what I can be and what I can offer to the world. But before I start that search for my new life, a break. I'm taking some time out to unwind, let go of the old life and remember who I am.  Oh and go to New York of course.

So, for now, I'm saying a huge thank you to everyone who has supported me and laughed with me over the past 13 years - it wouldn't have been the same without you. You may no longer be colleagues, but you're still friends, and I'm looking forward to sharing my new adventures with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear your comments!